The Madison Hospital Association was incorporated as the Lac qui Parle County Norwegian Lutheran Hospital Association, Madison, Minnesota, on March 4, 1901 with Rev. A.O. Utheim as president, Rev. A. O. Oppegaard as vice-president, Rev. Ivar Tharaldsen as secretary, and G.P. Kjosness as treasurer.
The hospital building was constructed in 1902 with community contributions. Until 1914, it was the only hospital between Minneapolis and Watertown, South Dakota. The name, Ebenezer, was chosen for the hospital based on a biblical text. The hospital’s charity extended to all, without regard to race or religious affiliation.
Dr. E. O. Giere and Dr. Marcus Thrane were the first members of the medical staff. Drs. Koren and Johnson joined the staff a little later and in 1915 Dr. Nels Westby, who was chief of staff until his death in 1950, and Dr. Walter N. Lee came to Madison. Dr. Henry Duncan of Marietta was a longtime staff member. Dr. Magnus Westby came to Madison in 1927 and other members of the staff over the years were Dr. Mattson, Dr. Andrejek, Dr. Chester Anderson, Dr. Wm. Hudspeth, Dr. Norval Westby, Dr. Ray Camp, Dr. Tolzman, Dr. Meyerchek, Dr. LaSalla, Dr. Engelking, Dr. Beaird, Dr. David Cruz, and the present staff of Dr. Laura Hong, Dr. Larry Grong, Michael Deyo, P.A., and Theresa Bly, CFNP.
On August 8 1945, the association decided to build a new forty bed hospital on a new site, land donated by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Madison. The name was also changed from the Ebenezer Hospital to the Madison Hospital. Several campaigns for funds were conducted and by 1949, $180,000 had been raised.
In 1951 construction of the new hospital was begun. On September 5, 1952, the cornerstone was laid and in late fall the last financial campaign was conducted with great success, making it possible for the new building to be opened debt free. The dedication was on August 6, 1953.Several remodeling projects have been completed since 2001 in order to update the interior, provide more privacy to patients, as well as make space more advanced technologies. Our most recent project including the addition of a CT Scanner room, new Laboratory room and a new x-ray room.
The Madison Hospital offers medical, surgical, obstetrics, nursery, coronary, and emergency services around the clock. In addition, in-patient and outpatient services are offered in the areas of Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy, laboratory and x-ray, and pharmacy. Consulting physicians in a variety of specialties visit on a scheduled basis and are an addition to the local medical staff.
The Madison Community, since its early days has been fortunate in having a dedicated medical and nursing staff available to serve their needs.